Wednesday, June 28, 2006

SwissToni's CD Shuffleathon...

My CD arrived in the post today from Adem. Its great when a plan comes together - thank you SwissToni!!

Anyway Keith and I listened to it when we got home after a walk and a couple of pints - and here's the verdict from the West Bridgford jury:

1) Stevie Wonder - Living for the City: One of my favourite tracks by one of my favourite artists 10/10

2) Guns N'Roses - Welcome to the jungle: Sorry Adem but I thought it was crap 0/10

3) Athlete - Vehicles and Animals: Fairly dirgelike - not my favourite genre but some redeeming features 5/10

4) Nirvana - Love Buzz: Great guitar work, great animalistic buzz to it 8/10

5) Air - All I need :Already a fan, not a track I know but loved it 9/10

6) Doves - Break Me Gently: familiar with some of their stuff but this is a really nice track, again great guitar work 8/10

7) Aimee Mann - Wise Up: An artist I've meant to catch up with for some time, a good friend of mine played with her for a while, great choice Adem 8/10

8) Johnny Cash - Hurt: Brilliant. Jim introduced me to this track10/10

9) Turin Brakes - Underdog (Save Me): Lovely, jingly jangly guitars are my fave 9/10

10) Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade out): Thought I'd hate it, see Athlete re dirgelike stuff, actually a really good track 7/10

11) Blur - End of a Century; Seminal bit of BritPop, OK but doesn't move me 6/10

12) The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony: A classic, lovely track, I see that video of Richard Ashcroft walking down the street in my head whenever I hear it 9/10

Overall verdict (statistically speaking) 7.5/10 - some great tracks, drop Guns N'Roses and its a real cracker IMHO

4 comments:

swisslet said...

...to be fair to Adem, "Welcome to the Jungle" is a stone cold classic. But not everyone's cup of tea, and it's your opinion that counts the most on here!

Looks like a good CD to me. No compilation with "Hurt" on it can be all bad, eh? Now that's a *serious* tune.

Adem should be happy with that review. It's a real shot in the dark sending out a CD like this!

Thanks for playing though. Good game, good game.

ST

adem said...

I glad you like [most of it]!

All the songs mean something special to me, although I did find myslef going down a bit of an accoustic route, but you realise how hard it is to just fit in 10 songs.

Stef said...

A top selection of tunes, starting off with one of your favourites is a cracking start. It sounds like you got introduced to some new stuff like Air which is great. Moon Safari is a fantastic album.

Adem, I can't believe you put Welcome to the Jungle as track 2, surely it's one of the greatest album opening tracks of all time? Anyhoo, looks like Tina didn't appreciate it. *shakes head* Each to their own I guess.

Threelight said...

The review's up!!

Thanks again for the excellent CD!!