Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The owl that flew into our house

Yesterday I posted a picture of the owl that flew into our house without any explanation - here it is now.

We live in suburban Nottingham, as you might imagine not the most fertile area in the world for wildlife spotting, unless you count the squirrels who steal the nuts we put out for the birds.

One evening Keith and I were watching TV and we heard a banging noise - we rushed into our conservatory as it sounded as if something was banging into the window - from there we could see into the kitchen and spotted something flying around in there. We walked around there and found , yes you've guessed it, an owl --- a Little Owl to be precise, which had somehow found its way though an open window or a chimney into our kitchen. Keith was astounded, I quite frankly was fairly freaked out as I have a bit of a bird phobia - I managed to calm down and we both had a look at this beautiful creature, which was remarkably calm, albeit probably a bit shocked. I took the photo while Keith held it before letting it go in the garden.

We also get Green Woodpeckers sometimes, and Herons, as well as all the usual suspects.

No comments: