Sunday, May 06, 2007

May the fourth be with you

Yes I know I'm two days late but I have been thinking about posting since Friday.

Finally got to meet Mike Troubled Diva this week, he kindly invited me to be his "plus one" at the Maria McKee gig at the Rescue Rooms after I posted some comments on his site. A lovely chap, and the strange thing about the blogosphere is that you really feel you know people pretty well before you actually met them in the flesh.

I also realised that I don't particularly worry about going places on my own, I was in the Rescue Rooms bar for a while before Mike showed up as I got there really early and wasn't in the least uncomfortable. I think I have a hang up, which a lot of women have, about going by yourself to pubs, bars etc which was instilled at an early age. Fear of being set upon by men with dishonourable intentions perhap. Well at my age I reckon thats unlikely to happen, and also the Rescue Rooms is a place where a woman of a certain age like myself is not out of place at all. I think I'm going to go for it more often from now on - I've missed out on going to see a few artists I was keen to see because of lack of someone to go with me. Keith is not at all keen although he lets himself be dragged reluctantly to the odd one if its someone he's heard of - he's a big Bob Dylan fan but after a dire NEC show he decided he didn't want to go and see him any more. Our friend Steve has accompanied me a number of times, but his tastes are more left field than mine - Durrutti Column, Pere Ubu, The Fall etc - all good in their way and interesting to see (except the Fall who didn't turn up until some ridiculous hour when Keith had decided he already wanted to go home). Its a real shame I don't live nearer to Lizzy, but the 180 mile trip to Newcastle is a tad far to go on a week night for a gig.

So I reckon I'm going to look out for gigs I like the look of and go for it whether I've got a "plus one" or not. Seeing live music is one of the great pleasures of my life, and I had a great introduction with Lizzy in Newcastle in my teens of seeing some brilliant people live. Well, now I'm out the other side of the settling down / getting married / babies / building a glittering career (?) zone, and I reckon that a little bit of what I fancy will do me good.

I am going to see Rod Stewart in Manchester in June with Emma, my good friend who's about 20 years younger than me and really has got a glittering career - lots of noughts on the end - but somehow I don't think I'll get her down the Rescue Rooms - her Jimmy Choos would stick to the floor.

No comments: