Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Arctic Monkeys

I have decided that I love the Arctic Monkeys. I drive around in my car listening to their new album (purchased by myself and 359,999 other people last week) banging my head like crazy and singing along like a lunatic.

Why do I love them so??

1) They sound (and are) Young and Northern, both conditions that I myself once was

Young in that the music is simple and vital. Definitely, unmistakenly Northern - the lead singer Alex has brilliant intonation, I love songs where you can clearly hear the lyrics.

2) The aforesaid lyrics

Done to death in the papers, but I still laugh out loud when I hear (clearly enunciated) lines like

" It proves that love's not just blind but deaf"

" You know your problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham"

3) The sheer energy and fun of it all

I caught a bit of a gig televised on MTV - fantastic! Somewhere like the Leadmill in Sheffield, a scuzzy club where I've spent a few fun packed evenings myself, and they all (band and audience alike) look like they're having a fookin' great time!

Don't over intellectuallise it, its only rock and roll and I like it!!

No comments: