Wednesday, March 16, 2005

The Magic Band Nottingham Rescue Rooms 6th July 2004

One of the great knock on effects of this Love thang has been that I've gone to see other bands as well - I was a bit intimidated by the thought of Rock City and the Rescue Rooms initially, but once I'd been to see Love there, I realised that they were fine, and that actually other quite old people went to gigs there as well.

So I've seen a number of other bands in the last couple of years as well - Durutti Column, David Thomas and the Pale Boys, Jah Wobble, the Average White Band, Maroon 5, etc etc and... the creme de la creme ... the Magic Band.

Now Lizzy and I were also big fans of Captain Beefheart and the Magic band back in the 60s and 70s. I saw them perform twice, once in Newcastle and once in Nottingham. In fact I still contend that the gig at Newcastle City Hall on 5th April 1972 was the best I've ever been to, by any artist, ever.

The Magic Band without the good Captain I approached with some trepidation, but it was unfounded, they were brilliant.

No comments: