Thursday, March 03, 2005

Non-Love Related (NLR): Steve and Wendy's Silver Wedding 30th August 2003

Steve and Wendy are good friends of ours in Nottingham, we've known them for 28 years or so since Keith and Steve were both training as teachers at Nottingham University. Its their Silver Wedding and they're throwing a big party at home - somewhat surprisingly the first party they've ever held. Keith and I are famed as party animals and have thrown parties at every conceivable opportunity since we've known each other - perhaps that's why Steve and Wendy never have before! They've bought the booze, booked a caterer and I have been commissioned to be i/c music for the evening!! Wendy has given me a list of some of their fave tunes, the ones that have special meaning for them, to help me on my way (Martha and the Muffins?? whats that all about??)

Now, I'm a bit of a disco diva - in my younger days I used to haunt the 70s night at the Black Orchid on Nottingham's Ring Road, Disco Inferno, complete with resident DJ Disco Dick, strutting my funky stuff to Tavares, the BeeGees, Trammps and other such cheesy rubbish. Now, cheesy that sort of stuff might be, but from my advanced age I can tell you, it gets everybody of every age up and dancing! So with the much appreciated technical assistance of Jim I put together a few CDs, one or two of the meaningful stuff but also a couple of ripsnorting Disco collections to get the grannies up and bopping.

Its a great night, Steve and Wendy have gathered a lot of their old friends together and everybody is having a good time. Late in the evening I get stuck into the CD player with some serious Disco action and they're all doing the actions to "Blame it on the Boogie" and "YMCA", and sitting down rowing (i.e. performing the action of rowing a boat rather than arguing) to "Whoops upside your head". Hey, I'm enjoying this - perhaps a new career as a disc spinner beckons...

No comments: