Tuesday, March 01, 2005

No 4. Rock City, Nottingham, Ist July 2003

After what seems like an awfully long gap, the news is out that Love are coming back over to the UK in the summer for Glastonbury and a few selected gigs, including one in Nottingham, my home town. Oh joy unconfined!

I don't feel up for Glastonbury, I feel that would be pushing it too far, but I do stay up to watch the television coverage - and there, in the middle of the night, are Arthur and the guys, including the Swedes,and they are wonderful. Can't wait for Rock City.

On the day of the gig, I picked Lizzy up from Newark Station - back to my house then into town with my husband Keith for a rendezvous with a number of other fans at the Bell in the Old Market Square. Mike Randle was there, selling copies of a demo CD, so I shelled out a fiver for one. Gill and her husband Colin were there, as well as Aake from Sweden, Martyn from South Africa (some folks travel a long way to see Love) Dave from Nottingham, and a chap from Hertfordshire called Pierre who ws drawn to Lizzy's jacket (see picture). Scottish Keith arrived later from Darlington with a friend, so there were quite a gang of us before we set off to Rock City, Mike having already left to do what he had to do. We managed to get very close to the front so had a brilliant view. A wonderful gig again, no orchestra but all of the band in remarkably good form. Arthur seemed really happy and was joking with the crowd, he seemed the most relaxed of the gigs that I'd seen to date. Downstairs to the basement bar when the show was over, Mike came down to join us for a chat and a beer but Keith was keen to get home so it was back to ours in a taxi.